Pinakbet (vegetable medley)
Pinakbet is similar to the Provençal (French) vegetable stew Ratatouille except for its sauce…Ilocano traditions usually use a minimum of 7 kinds of vegetables to cooked this meal.I’m short of one vegetable, but I replaced it with prawns to make it one dish meal and exciting(so you’ll need to peel the shrimp.hehehehe!!). Some use bagoong(similar to anchovies) and some use shrimp paste. ……Did you know that vegetables I used here such as pumpkins contains lots of anti-oxidant vitamins A and C, as well as zinc and alpha-hydroxy-acids which helps to reduce the signs of aging..So if you don’t want to grow old and want to stay young, let’s eat pumpkin everyday!!!
Ingredients: good for 4-6 persons
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 medium sliced onions
- 1/2 cup shrimp paste
- 100 gms pork meat with fat (diced)
- 8-10 pcs shrimps or prawns
- 8 pcs sting beans cut in 2 inches long
- 1 small pumpkin bite size
- 2 pcs medium sliced egg-plant
- 8 pcs ocra
- 4-6 pcs green long chillies
- 1/2 cup water
- in a sauce pan, heat oil and stir fry pork meat until brown and half-cooked. (searing pork enhance its full flavor)
- add in garlic and onion, shrimp paste.
- add in shrimp and the pumpkin and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- then add the rest of the vegetables and let boil for 2-3 minutes.
- serve hot. best paired with fried dishes.