Category Archives: Appetizers
Kid’s Chicken Barbeque…………Still part of my daughter’s kids menu, I already post starter’s such as “fried wonton and vegetable sticks” and posted desserts such as fruit kebab and kids cupcake. Now lets go with my kid’s little main dish. Barbecue wings. (oooppss, sorry it’s not in order, should be starter, salad, main and desserts etc). As we all know, most of the children can not say no to barbecues, we’ll my daughter can’t! To attract the children’s palate, I used banana ketsup as add-ons to my marinade mix, banana ketsup simply have a very good smell and sweet flavor once you grill your chicken barbeque. Must try!…………………………….Did you know that chicken is rich in selenium, another antioxidant-rich nutrient. Selenium in chicken has been shown to induce DNA repair in damaged cells and eliminate abnormal cells. This nutrient also activates an important antioxidant vital in cancer prevention, known as glutathione peroxidase, from proteins. Consuming chicken may help in the prevention of cancers.
- 1.5 kilogram chicken wings – cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sprite or soda
- 1/2 cup banana ketsup
- 1 tbsp lemon or calamansi juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- in a container, mix all ingredients except pork meat. mix well then add in chicken and rubbed evenly
- Best grilled using charcoal. or just simply use oven barbeque.
- best marinate for atleast 3 hours before grilling. brush the remaining marinade mix upon grilling your bbq..
Fried Wontons……………..This is one of my daughter’s favourite starter, as this is free everytime we buy in a famous takeaway shop here in NZ. So we decided to include this on her birthday menu as she loves anything fried and crispy(ooopps, I better watch out the fat/oil contents). Last post, I feature a very healthy vegetable sticks, this time I will be featuring “a not so healthy” option on your party menu. Sorry, it is fried so just take care of the fat and oil contents. (You need to drain it properly)…. But believe me, this is really awesome dude! Are you ready? Here we go………….
Ingredients: makes 60-80 pcs of fried wontons depending on the size
- 350 gms pork minced
- 100 gms small diced and peeled shrimps
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium minced onions
- 1 tsp seasoning soy sauce
- 2 pcs beaten egg
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together except shrimp , mix well.
- Form a circle size approx a teaspoon of mixture and wrap over siomai wrapper. makes approx 80 pcs or even more depending on your size. smaller the better as the wonton might open when you fry.
- Heat oil and fry until golden brown. serve with sweet chilli sauce
Food in the future……………………My fellow bloggers, I would love to share you what we did in our 2012 Christmas Party in our Church. There is a competition were every group needs to design and create a futuristic dinner booth. And I am very happy to tell you guys that we won the first prize. Yes, the overall champion booth. Who knows this might be the start of a new generation that food in the future might come into a capsule. A flavored capsule which you can choose a wide variety of viand such as roast meats, vegetables, dessert, soups and etc. What you think?………..The lovely tomato flower curving was made by my wife!!!!!
Ingredients and preparation:
Lots of love and team efforts!
Vegetables sticks…………….My post today is still part of my Daughter’s birthday Party Menu. My previous post were “fruit Kebab and Kid’s Birthday Cupcake”. Now let’s do a simple vegetable sticks with dips. There will be no cooking required on this post as I only cut does healthy vegetable sticks and just bought a dip in the supermarket. The dip was cheese as I want to attract kids to eat and dip this veggie sticks on my cheese dips.If you are again running out of idea what to serve on party, you can simply cut this vegetables and it can serve as your starter for any meal. Your guest will surely love this as it is very healthy option on you menu…….YUUUUMMMM!!!
- Basically any vegetables you want: such as carrots, cucumber, turnips, celery and etc
- Dips: depends on your taste: you can choose cheese, aoili, sour cream and many more
- Do it with at most love!
- Cut the veggies as even as you can. Best served when chilled!
- Technic, blanch into a very cold water before serving. You can enjoy the crunchiness!
Fruit Kebab…………We have this fruit dish when my daughter celebrated her 7th birthday here in NZ. The photo was taken by a professional photographer and top blogger raymund of angsarap.net. He’s a good friend of mine. Well, Back to the dish, When you want something healthy to go with your kids party, cocktail party or any event, you can try this dish. It has no cooking required as you can just stick on a barbeque stick any fruits you want. It is very easy as your kids can help you on your preparation as well. hhhmmmmm good bonding for you and your kids. My lovely wife made this fruit kebab………….Lets go healthy!!!!
Basically any fruits you want. I use the following
- Strawberry, grapes, melon, honeydew, pineapples
- Just cut the fruits evenly.
Exploring stir fry beef Asian style…………Once again I will be featuring “stir-fry beef”. This time, I will cook the beef with bok choy. It is a very Asian inspired dish that once you master the cooking of stir-fry beef, you can explore any vegetables you may want to accompany with this very tender quick-cook beef. Here in my place, almost every week we cook Asian dish such as this one……..Must try!
Ingredients: serves 4-6 persons
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 thumb size ginger sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 500 grams thinly sliced beef (tendered and soak in 1 tsp soda. salt & pepper for 10 minutes)
- 4 bunches of bok choy
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1.5 cup water
- 1 small can of black beans (use 3 tbsp and mashed it)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion leeks
- Heat oil in pan , add beef and stir fry until brown and season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, ginger and onions and soy sauce. Saute’ for 2 minutes.
- Add black beans. Continue stirring for 2-3 minutes then pour in bok choy.
- Add water with cornstarch and boil for 2 minutes, then add onion leeks and sesame oil then remove from heat.
- Serve hot and enjoy!!!!!
Salad……..Another simple salad selection that is so healthy and a great starter to your “mains” or a quick salad to your buffet. I remember every time we run out of an idea what to place in salad section, the easiest way is to cut in dice every vegetable you got in your pantry. If you have onions, tomatoes and cucumber plus some green salad and some feta cheese, well you will have a simple chopped salad. you can also add if you have some left over ham, smoked chicken or beef to this salad. hmmmmmm….Yummmmmm!!!!!
- 3 pcs tomatoes in dice
- 1 pc white onions in dice
- 1 pc cucumber in dice
- some green salad such as mesculin, cos lettuce or any lettuce, chopped
- feta cheese in cubes
- 3 capsicum, green, yellow and red, diced
Simple vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp minced green capsicum
- 2 tbsp minced onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
pour in a container jar and Shake well
- Combine all vegetables in a salad bowl
- Tossed with vinaigrette
- Serve and smile!!!!
- salt and pepper
Kebab - This is a simple fish barbecue recipe made with tuna and mixed vegetables on skewer. . . . . .Back home in the Philippines, this was the best-selling seafood items in our menu when I was working in one of the restaurant in SM Megamall. We had plenty of kebab selection such as chicken, lamb, beef, vegetarian and seafood. But among the rest, this was the best……..
- 250 grams tuna fillet cut in big dice or cubes
- 2 pcs capsicum in big dice
- 1 pcs big onion big diced
- 2 tbsp seasoning soy sauce
- 1/4 cup juice from lemon
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- dried marjoram and thyme herbs
- barbecue sticks
- in a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together, marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Grab a skewer/barbecue sticks and one by one, depending on your imagination. place tuna meat and onion, capsicum alternately.
- Best cooked using charcoal grill or simply by oven grill. Brush with the remaining marinade mix
- Serve hot.
PadThai………this is one of my favourite asian dish. Well, as a chef, I always modify recipes, i made my one pinoy style that siuts my taste. Hopefully suits your taste as well. To make it more exciting, I topped the padthai some grilled porkchops which is one of my favourite too. …….. Now, lets go on the menu……
500 gms porkchops (marinated with soy sauce, pepper and lemons) grilled and chopped
500 gms pancit bihon or sotanghon ( rice noodles)
3 fresh eggs
Oil for saute
Some Garlic and onions
Chopped onion leek
2 cups chicken or pork broth
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 juice from lemon
1 tsp achuete powder
1/4 cup light soy sauce
In a wok, heat oil and saute garlic and onions, add in fresh eggs and cook until egg is scrambled
Add in noodles and broth, you may need extra broth until noodles are cooked.
Add in padthai sauce little by little until it reaches your desired taste.
Serve in a plate and topped with grilled pork and chopped onion leeks.