Category Archives: Snacks
Kid’s Chicken Barbeque…………Still part of my daughter’s kids menu, I already post starter’s such as “fried wonton and vegetable sticks” and posted desserts such as fruit kebab and kids cupcake. Now lets go with my kid’s little main dish. Barbecue wings. (oooppss, sorry it’s not in order, should be starter, salad, main and desserts etc). As we all know, most of the children can not say no to barbecues, we’ll my daughter can’t! To attract the children’s palate, I used banana ketsup as add-ons to my marinade mix, banana ketsup simply have a very good smell and sweet flavor once you grill your chicken barbeque. Must try!…………………………….Did you know that chicken is rich in selenium, another antioxidant-rich nutrient. Selenium in chicken has been shown to induce DNA repair in damaged cells and eliminate abnormal cells. This nutrient also activates an important antioxidant vital in cancer prevention, known as glutathione peroxidase, from proteins. Consuming chicken may help in the prevention of cancers.
- 1.5 kilogram chicken wings – cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sprite or soda
- 1/2 cup banana ketsup
- 1 tbsp lemon or calamansi juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- in a container, mix all ingredients except pork meat. mix well then add in chicken and rubbed evenly
- Best grilled using charcoal. or just simply use oven barbeque.
- best marinate for atleast 3 hours before grilling. brush the remaining marinade mix upon grilling your bbq..
Fried Wontons……………..This is one of my daughter’s favourite starter, as this is free everytime we buy in a famous takeaway shop here in NZ. So we decided to include this on her birthday menu as she loves anything fried and crispy(ooopps, I better watch out the fat/oil contents). Last post, I feature a very healthy vegetable sticks, this time I will be featuring “a not so healthy” option on your party menu. Sorry, it is fried so just take care of the fat and oil contents. (You need to drain it properly)…. But believe me, this is really awesome dude! Are you ready? Here we go………….
Ingredients: makes 60-80 pcs of fried wontons depending on the size
- 350 gms pork minced
- 100 gms small diced and peeled shrimps
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium minced onions
- 1 tsp seasoning soy sauce
- 2 pcs beaten egg
- 1/2 salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together except shrimp , mix well.
- Form a circle size approx a teaspoon of mixture and wrap over siomai wrapper. makes approx 80 pcs or even more depending on your size. smaller the better as the wonton might open when you fry.
- Heat oil and fry until golden brown. serve with sweet chilli sauce
Food in the future……………………My fellow bloggers, I would love to share you what we did in our 2012 Christmas Party in our Church. There is a competition were every group needs to design and create a futuristic dinner booth. And I am very happy to tell you guys that we won the first prize. Yes, the overall champion booth. Who knows this might be the start of a new generation that food in the future might come into a capsule. A flavored capsule which you can choose a wide variety of viand such as roast meats, vegetables, dessert, soups and etc. What you think?………..The lovely tomato flower curving was made by my wife!!!!!
Ingredients and preparation:
Lots of love and team efforts!
Salad……..Another simple salad selection that is so healthy and a great starter to your “mains” or a quick salad to your buffet. I remember every time we run out of an idea what to place in salad section, the easiest way is to cut in dice every vegetable you got in your pantry. If you have onions, tomatoes and cucumber plus some green salad and some feta cheese, well you will have a simple chopped salad. you can also add if you have some left over ham, smoked chicken or beef to this salad. hmmmmmm….Yummmmmm!!!!!
- 3 pcs tomatoes in dice
- 1 pc white onions in dice
- 1 pc cucumber in dice
- some green salad such as mesculin, cos lettuce or any lettuce, chopped
- feta cheese in cubes
- 3 capsicum, green, yellow and red, diced
Simple vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp minced green capsicum
- 2 tbsp minced onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
pour in a container jar and Shake well
- Combine all vegetables in a salad bowl
- Tossed with vinaigrette
- Serve and smile!!!!
- salt and pepper
PadThai………this is one of my favourite asian dish. Well, as a chef, I always modify recipes, i made my one pinoy style that siuts my taste. Hopefully suits your taste as well. To make it more exciting, I topped the padthai some grilled porkchops which is one of my favourite too. …….. Now, lets go on the menu……
500 gms porkchops (marinated with soy sauce, pepper and lemons) grilled and chopped
500 gms pancit bihon or sotanghon ( rice noodles)
3 fresh eggs
Oil for saute
Some Garlic and onions
Chopped onion leek
2 cups chicken or pork broth
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 juice from lemon
1 tsp achuete powder
1/4 cup light soy sauce
In a wok, heat oil and saute garlic and onions, add in fresh eggs and cook until egg is scrambled
Add in noodles and broth, you may need extra broth until noodles are cooked.
Add in padthai sauce little by little until it reaches your desired taste.
Serve in a plate and topped with grilled pork and chopped onion leeks.
Tokwa’t baboy(Pork and tofu)………… a very popular side dish of lugaw (congee) or we can called them as one of the best “Partner dish”. It is a simple recipe compose of fried pork ears, pork meat and fried tofu best served with vinegar dressing made with soy sauce, garlic, onion, pepper and chillies. I remember when I was a student, every morning near the bus stop, there is a very famous lugawan stall (congee cart) where you sit and eat at the streets. For only 3.00(approx 0.10 cents nzd) pesos I got a bowl of lugaw (congee) and free air pollution since it was located in the streets…LOL!!!!!
- 1/2 kilo of mixed pork ears and meat (boiled with salt) then fried and chopped into dice
- 4-5 pcs of fried tofu chopped into same size as pork
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- chopped chillies
- chopped onions
You can keep in a bottle and use for over a month.
- combine chopped pork meat, ears and tofu in a bowl, dress with a little vinegar dressing.
- Best served with congee or lugaw
Apple and apricot slice… This is one of my favourite dessert for apple recipe. Inspired by traditional apple pies, this dessert comes with some apricots and sultanas topped with crumble of oats and butter. Must try!!!!
Ingredients: makes a tin of 6×12 inches
- 5 cups diced apples (in cans) drain syrup
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 cup bakers flour
- 1 tsp mix spice
* in a mixing large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix very well. set aside
Base and crumble toppings”
- 3 cups bakers flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 400 grams melted margarine
* In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well then add in margarine. mix well then transfer half of the mixture to a 6×12 tin with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes at 170 degrees. Serve the other half mixture for crumble topping.
- After the base is cooked, pour in the mixture evenly and toppwed with the remaining crumble. To top simply tear flour mixture everything is covered.
- Bake at 1 hour for 160 degrees. Set aside and cool down and slice in your desred sizes.
- Best served chilled with a cup of coffee or tea.
burger………………A simple burger recipe I used as our dinner which I love to served with gravy, (burger steak with mushroom sauce)or burger patties that I cook as my wife and daughter’s (double cheeseburger)lunch box for the following day. The good thing about this is, I can freeze them for weeks and cook them whenever you want or crave for it. Homemade burgers are 100 percent better than those in food chains. Do you agree?……………………………….Did you know that beef mince are loaded with protein, zinc, phosphorus and iron. And this nutrients are very essential to our body. such as Protein—Helps build a strong and muscular body. Zinc—Helps create a healthy immune system & heal wounds. Phosphorus—Necessary for strong teeth and bones. Iron— Helps carry oxygen in the blood to all cells and muscles to prevent fatigue…………………
Ingredients: makes 20-25 patties depending your desired size
- 1 kilogram minced beef
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large minced onions
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 pcs egss
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp seasoning soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix all ingredints together and form a patties at approx 80-100 gms each
- Then place in a container and freeze. last up to 3-4 weeks.
- Method of cooking – pan-fried or grill
- 1/2 cup drippings
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 50 gms butter
- brown flour in a sauce pan using a low heat then add butter to make a rue…add in drippings and 1 cup water.let it boil.
- combine flour and the remaining water. seasoned with salt & pepper..and soy sauce for a little coloring effect. adjust texture or thickness by adding little by little water, continue string until cooked