Sapin-sapin (Sticky rice coconut cake)
This was made by my wife..It took her lots of courage to do it. We had fun doing this recipe, . Do you know why? We are trying to translate it in English without seeking to our friend “google”, The choice was….”Top top” or ” sheet over sheet”….hahahaha…Then finally we ask our friend google!!! It’s a sticky rice coconut cake……..Did you know that by eating a bowl of glutinous or sticky rice before bedtime can put insomiacs to sleep…. Scientists have discovered that starchy rice boosts two key sleep chemicals that make you fall into a slumber faster (tryptophan and serotonin, two brain chemicals involved in sleep)
* but adding red meat or other high protein foods to the starchy rice meal could remove the sleep-enhancing benefits.
- 750 grams glutinous rice flour
- 500 grams semi-brown sugar
- 500 ml coconut milk (or more)
- 2-3 tbsp cooked mashed sweet potato (Kumara)
- 2-3 tbsp ube yam
- food coloring – orange & violet
For 1st topping:
- grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
For 2nd topping:
- 1-1/2 cup coconut cream
- Mix glutinous rice flour, sugar and coconut milk in a large bowl.
- Divide the mixture in three parts in 3 separate bowls.
- On the 1st part of the mixture, add the ube yam and put in some drops of the violet coloring, Mix well.
- On the 2nd part, add in the mashed sweet potato and put in some drops of the orange coloring. Mix well.
- On the third part, nothing to be added.
- Boil water to be used for steaming.
- Grease round pan (optional: line the greased pan with banana leaves and grease the leaves)
- Pour the 1st mixture (ube) and spread it evenly. Cover the pan with foil or cloth then steam for 20-30 minutes till firm.
- When cooked, put the 1st part (ube) in a round plate or tray (optional: line the plate with banana leaves)
- On the used pan, pour the 2nd mixture (Sweet potato). Cover it and steam again for 20-30 minutes till firm.
- When cooked, put the 2nd part (sweet potato) on top of the cooked 1st part (ube).
- And for the last part, pour it again in the used pan, cover and steam for 20-30 minutes till firm.
- When cooked put the 3rd part on top of the 2nd part (sweet yam).
- For the 1st topping (budbod), fry grated coconut in a pan ( I used desiccated coconut as a substitute) till brown and add half a tsp sugar.
- For the 2nd topping (latik), on a pan pour 1-1/2 cup coconut cream. Wait till the latik comes out and scrape of the pan to get the latik.
- Put the 2 toppings on top of the sapin-sapin.
- Serves 8-10 persons. Enjoy….