Empanada – Chicken
Empanada – chicken….Back in the Philippines, you can see this in almost every bakeshop, small bakeries and even food stall in streets and in malls. Its a common snack in our hometown. Some filling may vary depending on your desired meat such as chicken, beef and pork. If I am not mistaken, this dish is originated by people from Latin-American, it’s a spanish turnover made of flaky crust. If you havent know, Spaniards and Americans have lived in our country for a long period of time …………..Did you know that chicken breast has many nutrients that can reduce your risk of many types of cancer. Selenium is the culprit responsible for the health benefits of chicken breast, protecting your immune system, which helps in the fight to keep cancer away
Ingredients: makes 20-25 empanada depending on your desired size.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onions chopped
- 500 grams chicken breast minced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables(carrots, peas, corn)
- 2 stalk celery diced similar to mixed vegetables size
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolk and 50g butter for brushing
- 8 sheets 10×10 inch Flaky pastry roll:
- In a large teflon pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion, add in chicken and saute until lightly brown. allowing the chicken flavor to come out.
- Then seasoned with salt, pepper and soy sauce. simmer for 2 minutes.
- Then add in vegetables and adjust taste by adding fish sauce. set aside.
- Spread sheets of flaky pastry roll, using your desired size, I usually mold it into a cup saucer size.
- Mold 20-25 round pastry sheets then pour in spoonful chicken mixtures and fold. then brush with egg yolk and butter mix
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.