Kilawing Baboy (pork in vinegar)
It’s a grilled skin of pig and liver seasoned with vinegar and chilli spices. This dish is usually cooked using goat’s skin. It’s a great appetizer specially when you are drinking hard drinks such as gin, vodka, brandy and etc. Some people might consider this as an exotic food but for Filipinos, It’s one of our favorite appetizer………Did you know that eating pig skins have some health features? It’s a good source of some vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese.and Vitamin such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid….But offcourse, excessive eating of pork skins would be dangerous to our health, because of its fats that produce thousand of calories……..
ingredients: serves 8-10 persons
- 1 kilo pig skin
- 1/4 kilo pork liver
- 1 tbsp pepper corn
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 litre water
- 2 large white chopped onions
- 2 thumb size ginger minced
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- In a large sauce pan, combine water, peppercorns, bay leaves and pork skin and liver. Boil for 30 minutes then drain.
- In a charcoal griller or oven, grill pork skin just to take off excess hair and get that smokey flavor. grill the pork liver lightly. then cut into small dice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, salt & pepper, leeks, ginger and mix well. toss with the diced pork and skin.
- Serve hot or cold. Great appetizer for having beer or wine.