Empanada – Pork
Empanada…..I am craving for a good snack. I already posted the chicken empanada, this one is the pork version. I just used the same ingredients. It will be our lunch box for the week. Yes, you heard it right, It will be a week ,because we made 25 pieces. Sometimes its crazy, sometimes its really fun eating the same food everyday. Do you agree?…………..Did you know that mixed vegetables I used in this empanada are good sources of fiber. Like the peas – the fiber present on it may help lower cholesterol. The Iron and vitamin C present in the peas help maintain good and strong immune system.. and the Corn – when eaten everyday it can also lower cholesterol in the body. The soluble fiber in corn binds with cholesterol in bile from the liver. It then passes from the body taking the cholesterol with it………….
Ingredients: makes 20-25 empanada depending on your desired size.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onions chopped
- 500 grams lean pork minced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables(carrots, peas, corn)
- 2 stalk celery diced similar to mixed vegetables size
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolk and 50g butter for brushing
- 8 sheets 10×10 inch Flaky pastry roll:
- In a large teflon pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion, add in pork lean mince and saute until lightly brown. allowing the pork flavor to come out.
- Then seasoned with salt, pepper and soy sauce. simmer for 2 minutes.
- Then add in vegetables and adjust taste by adding fish sauce. set aside.
- Spread sheets of flaky pastry roll, using your desired size, I usually mold it into a cup saucer size.
- Mold 20-25 round pastry sheets then pour in spoonful chicken mixtures and fold. then brush with egg yolk and butter mix
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.