Pares and Fried Rice(Pinoy Style Beef Brisket)
pares…………this dish made me remember our all time favourite pares mami house back home. The COCOY”S Pares….When me and my wife are lazy to cook, once a week we always dine to that small restaurant. Aside form it’s reasonable price, they offer a great serving that is enough for us(wow, Cocoys that was a great advertisement from your part) This dish usually comes with a serving of the best garlic fried rice in town. I love this PARES!!!!………………….Did you know that star anise is one of the main ingredients of this recipe. It gives the distinctive taste of this dish. Star anise are also known for some of its healing properties. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of star anise is useful in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis and dry cough. For this reason, some cough mixtures contain star anise extract. Star anise can also be used as for its sedating properties to ensure a good sleep. Star anise can also be used as a natural breath freshener…..
Ingredients: good for 10 persons
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1.5 kl beef brisket cut in cubes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large onions sliced
- 4 cups water
- 5 pcs star anise
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp peppercorn
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 stalk celery (for boiling) don’t cut
- 2 thumb size ginger crushed.
- onion leeks for toppings
- 1 tbsp toasted garlic
- fish sauce for adjusting taste
- In a large pan, boil beef with water, star anise, dark soy sauce, 1 whole stalk celery, vinegar, brown sugar and salt and pepper. boil for 45 minutes or until tender. set aside and let it cool. and place in fridge. This will allow you to remove cold fat from the beef. As brisket usually comes with lots of fat. then remove celery
- In a sauce pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger. add in hoisin sauce then pour on the beef mixture. BOil beef until tender or sauce is reduce. you can adjust your taste by adding fish sauce
- Serve with garlic rice.