Papaitan (Bitter Beef Stew)
Papaitan………..It is an exotic recipe for most foreigners but not for filipinos. Exotic because it is composed of beef internal organs such as tripe, kidney, hearts, lungs and intestines. Dare to try it? This is very common dish in our country. Papaitan is originated in the Ilocandia. This Ilocano recipe’s name is derived from the word “pait” which means “bitter” in English. Pinapaitan can be translated as “Beef Innards Stew” or “Bitter Beef Soup”. This dish is mostly served as an appetizer especially for “lasinggero” (Alcoholic drinkers) as it is sometimes served as very hot and spicy. Once you got drunk, a zip of the soup will make you feel up and drinking again. So it will be a “never-ending drinking”. (LOL)………………Did you know that beef internal organs such as tripe is a very good source of calcium and selenium. Calcium helps in the growth of our muscles and teeth. While selenium is one of several antioxidants the body uses to neutralize the toxins that fail to flush from the body through the normal cleansing channels. These toxins, also called free radicals, alter the chemical structure of healthy cells that results in premature aging, inflammation and disease formation.
Ingredients: serves 6-8 persons
- 1 kg of beef tripe, heart, liver, intestine and others cut into small pieces (boiled in 1 liter water)
- 250 gram beef sirloin cut in small pieces
- Bile liquid (papait) or extract from the animal’s stomach (strained)
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 thumb size ginger strips
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large chopped onions
- 6-8 pcs Long green chili pepper (siling pangsigang)
- 1 pouch tamarind extract or powder
- 1 tbsp Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1.5 litre of water
- In a large sauce pan, boil “tripe, intestines, hearts, kidneys in 1 liter water for 5 minutes. drain and cut into small pieces. set aside
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger then add beef and internal recipes and brown for 10 minutes. Then seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1.5 liter of water and boil for 30 minutes or until meat are tender.
- add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve hot.