Brazo de Ube
As I review the statistic of my brazo de mercedes, I found out that it became one of my popular recipe on my blog. So, me and my wife decided to make this brazo de ube, a version of the brazo de mercedes using an “ube or purple yam’ filling. Purple yam for some who does not know yet is a kind of sweet potato which is purple in color. The procedures and ingredients is same with the add-ons of “ube or sweet purple potatoes”………………….Did you know that purple sweet potato has the highest nutritional value compared to other vegetables. Its vibrant color is a clue to its high concentration of Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. One sweet potato contains five times the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant that protects against free radicals and helps guard against smoking-related diseases like emphysema and lung cancer. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of Vitamin C and the trace mineral manganese…….
- 10 raw eggs, separate yolks from white
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 tbsp confectioner sugar
- 1 can 14 oz condensed milk
- 1 pc purple sweet potato (boiled and mashed)
- you may need food coloring red and blue (3 drops each)
To prepare custard:
- In a saucepan using low heat settings, whisk egg yolks then add condensed milk, vanilla extract and mashed sweet purple potato . cool down and set aside. if you are not satisfied with the color, you can drop red and blue at 3 drops each
To prepare merengue:
- In a mixing bowl, pour in egg white and cream of tartar and mix using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. add in caster sugar in small quantities and whisk.
- Pre-heat oven at 170 degrees celsius. In a cookie pan, spray oil and place baking paper, spread merengue using a spatula evenly. You can use fork to create lines and designs. Bake for atleast 10 minutes or until lightly brown. cool down and set aside and dust with sugar confectioner
- flip over the merengue and spread custard evenly. again, dust it with sugar confectioner
- Then slowly roll over the cake to form a cake roll look-alike. Be gently.
- Place in fridge for minimum of two-hour.