Ube Cake (purple yam cake)
Ube cake or purple yam cake……….For those who just tuned in, this is dessert we had on our 7 course meal. This was baked by my wife from the scratch to finish. It is a cake made with ‘sweet purple potato” in a soft spongee cake filled with macapuno and dressed with cream cheese and sugar frosting. This is the first time my wife made this. The chiffon cake is very traditional, the filling and frosting came from her creative imagination. I would say that after she made this, now I have a patisserie chef…………………….Did you know that purple yam or sweet purple potato specially with a thicker purple skin has a cancer-fighting properties. the anthocyanin which is present in sweet potato can prevent, treat or slow down the growth of cancerous cells…………
Ingredients: serves 1 8×8 square pan (double layer cake)
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cooked purple yam or sweet potato (grated after cooking)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ts[ vanilla extract
- 1/2 glutinous cup corn syrup
- 8 egg whites
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 drops red food color
- 6 drops blue food color
- 12 ounces macapuno (coconut preserve)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 3 drops blue food coloring
- In an electric mixer with bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt, place grated ube, milk, egg yolks, syrup, oil and vanilla extract. mix well. set aside. (we will call this mixture A)
- In an electric mixer with bowl, mix egg whites and cream of tartar until smooth and foamy. add white sugar gradually then add in food coloring. set aside (we will call this mixture B)
- Then combine and fold mixture A and B.
- divide and pour mixtures in two sets of 8×8 pan (place baking paper on tin)
- pre-heat oven 165 degrees and bake for 30 minutes
- To check if the cake is ready, when your finger bounces back it means it is ready
- Let it cool for 1 hour. remove from tin and assemble cake into a serving cake tray. (you can trim in some as your desired cake shape)
- Place one layer of chiffon cake first then fill with a jar of macapuno then top the other chiffon cake.
- Mean time, Place all ingredients of the frosting into a mixing bowl. mix well until smooth and creamy. divide the mixture into two parts. place food coloring on the other part.
- Using your imagination, decorate the cake as you want.
Posted on March 12, 2012, in Breads and Bakeries, Cakes, Dessert, Sweets and Pastries and tagged cake, desserts, purple yum cake, Ube cake, yum cake. Bookmark the permalink. 15 Comments.
Mmmm! As soon as I saw the word ube, it reminded me of ube ice cream!!
thank you kat……hhmmm, I love ube ice cream too..
Buti na lang natikman ko na to!
nakaka miss ang ube, gawa ka ng ice cream bro…
i miss this so much ! may bakery ka ba sa Auckland bro? you’re a magician!
Salamat pre, hayaan mo pagnatuloy kami sa wellington. Ipagbabake kita.. Hehehe
Your wife’s really talented. That cake looks delicious!
Yes….. I taught her a lot… Or other way around. She taught me a lot… Lol!!! Thanks
This is a work of art! And a delicious sounding one too. 😀
Thank you kathryn……. Have a great one!
Purple yam cake, who knew? So creatively done and looks amazing too!
thank you…..I think you’ll love this once you’ve try this cake.
This cake is exquisite – and made out of purple yams? totally unique 😀
Choc Chip Uru
I would like to try this ube cake, but can i bake this in one mold, then cut them into two?
Yes you can make that in one mold. Adjust the -10 degrees for temperature the add 5 more minuntes cooking time. This will allow it to cook the cake inner layer properly. Thanks