Chicken Sopas (chicken macaroni soup)
Sopas………..Back home when I was I student in High School, I consider this dish as one of my routine breakfast. My mom always cook this as it is part of her weekly menus. My mom trained us to eat a heavy breakfast as we don’t have enough money to buy a good lunch to our school. We are not as rich as other student who have a loaded lunch box and still have money to buy food. We don’t have much, but its enough for us! Back to the sopas, it is a Philippines version of Italian Chowder, as ingredients are quite similar just in the absence of the macaroni noodles. Most of Philippines dish is loaded with carbohydrates as we always eat rice and noodles are great substitute of rice………………………Did you know that to make a good and tasty sopas, you need to use a fresh chicken preferably the rib parts. and did you know that chicken is a good source of vitamin B especially the “riboflavin”. A deficiency in this vitamin results in soreness around the lips, mouth and tongue, cracking of the skin at both corners of the mouth and peeling of the skin, particularly around the nose. Chicken also contains zinc. A lack of this mineral in the body may manifest through loss of appetite and weight.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8 persons
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large white onions chopped
- 500 gms chicken (preferably rib part) cut in serving size
- 100 gms chicken liver
- 1 cup milk
- 1 litre water
- 1 cup dice carrots
- 200 gms elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup dice celery
- 3 pcs chicken hotdogs or sausage sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp of marjoram and thyme herbs
- In a large sauce pan, boil one liter of water and chicken for 15 minutes. set aside. remove chicken and save chicken stock.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion, add in chicken meat and seasoned with salt and pepper and herbs. add in carrots and celery ans saute well until light brown.
- add in chicken liver and hotdogs and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- transfer into a sauce pan of chicken stocks, let it boil and add in elbow macaroni. when macaroni is cooked add in milk and adjust taste by adding fish sauce.
- Serve hot