Lugaw with egg (congee with egg)
Lugaw…………Inspired by Chinese cuisines, We Filipinos have our own version of congee (lugaw). Usually plain congee served with variety of side dishes. It can be boiled egg, tokwat baboy(tofu), Utak(pigs brain) and lumpia toge. Back home in Valenzuela. There is a famous small cafe (cafeteria or lugawan) that only serve lugaw(congee). I have watched their business grows as I am an avid fan of their congee. The congee house name is “cornelios lugaw”. They start with a little space or like a small food stall that can only fit 4-6 customers. As months and year pass by, the started adding chairs and table on the side streets as they are very busy during midnight to morning hours. As lugaw in opur place is very popular breakfast and meal for those who has a hangover from night’s party. Then they become bigger and bigger as when the last time I saw the shop, they were a small restaurant that offers variety of meals and open 24 hours. I think from 6 seater food stall they are now catering for at least 60 persons. What a success!!!!……………………….Did you know that congee with egg is a powerful meal during breakfast. It is loaded with carbohydrates plus the fact that I served it with egg. Egg are very cheap source of protein. In combination, this meal can supply all the energy you may need during the day.
ingredients (serves 4-6 persons)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 50 gms ginger sliced
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 /2 cup glutenous rice
- 1.5 liter of water or chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp kasubha
- slices of onion leeks (for toppings)
- 6 cloves crushed toasted garlic
- 6 pcs boiled eggs
- In a large sauce pan, boil white & glutenous rice in one and a half liter of water until cooked. approx 30 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic, ginger & onion and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Pour saute chicken into the sauce pan of boiling rice. add in kasugba, and seasoned with fish sauce.
- Adjust your desired thickness by adding water.
- Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with toasted garlic & onion leeks