Ampalaya Con Karne( Bittermelon)
Ampalaya…….(Bittermelon). Back home in the Philippines, this is one of our favorite dish to order in a famous hongkong/chinese restaurant near in our place. “Lok Foo” Chinese Restaurant in Commonwealth. (please correct me if I misspelled since its been a while I was not in PHI). Here in NZ, we seldom cook this dish as it is not “in season” and would be very expensive dish atleast around 25 dollar a kilo when it is not in summer time. Ok, back to the dish, it is more of an Asian taste – sweet and salty coming from black beans and a slight bitter coming from the ampalaya…..Must try!
Ingredients: serves 4-6 persons
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 thumb size ginger sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 500 grams thinly sliced beef (tendered and soak in 1 tsp soda. salt & pepper for 10 minutes)
- 500 grams ampalaya slices
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1.5 cup water
- 1 small can of black beans (use 3 tbsp and mashed it)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion leeks
- Heat oil in pan , add beef and stir fry until brown and season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, ginger and onions and soy sauce. Saute’ for 2 minutes.
- Add black beans. Continue stirring for 2-3 minutes then pour in ampalaya.
- Add water with cornstarch and boil for 2 minutes, then add onion leeks and sesame oil then remove from heat.
- Serve hot and enjoy!!!!!
Posted on October 15, 2012, in beef, Mains and tagged Ampalaya con karne, ampalaya recipe, Beef Ampalaya, bittermelon recipe, ginisang ampalaya, saute ampalaya, ssaute bittermelon. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.