Category Archives: breakffast dishes
pares…………this dish made me remember our all time favourite pares mami house back home. The COCOY”S Pares….When me and my wife are lazy to cook, once a week we always dine to that small restaurant. Aside form it’s reasonable price, they offer a great serving that is enough for us(wow, Cocoys that was a great advertisement from your part) This dish usually comes with a serving of the best garlic fried rice in town. I love this PARES!!!!………………….Did you know that star anise is one of the main ingredients of this recipe. It gives the distinctive taste of this dish. Star anise are also known for some of its healing properties. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of star anise is useful in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis and dry cough. For this reason, some cough mixtures contain star anise extract. Star anise can also be used as for its sedating properties to ensure a good sleep. Star anise can also be used as a natural breath freshener…..
Ingredients: good for 10 persons
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1.5 kl beef brisket cut in cubes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large onions sliced
- 4 cups water
- 5 pcs star anise
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp peppercorn
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 stalk celery (for boiling) don’t cut
- 2 thumb size ginger crushed.
- onion leeks for toppings
- 1 tbsp toasted garlic
- fish sauce for adjusting taste
- In a large pan, boil beef with water, star anise, dark soy sauce, 1 whole stalk celery, vinegar, brown sugar and salt and pepper. boil for 45 minutes or until tender. set aside and let it cool. and place in fridge. This will allow you to remove cold fat from the beef. As brisket usually comes with lots of fat. then remove celery
- In a sauce pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger. add in hoisin sauce then pour on the beef mixture. BOil beef until tender or sauce is reduce. you can adjust your taste by adding fish sauce
- Serve with garlic rice.
Tapsilog………….Another member of the “SILOG FAMILY”. For those who doesn’t know yet is – the word “SI” is for fried rice(sinangag) and “LOG” is for egg (Itlog). Then we add the first syllable of the meat name like this “TAP” for tapa (beef) and then the “SILOG” that makes it TAPSILOG. Again, for the recap. I already posted Tocilog, Chicksilog and more of them coming soon. This breakfast dish is best served with achara. It is very similar to Pork steak ala pobre and pork steak tagalog , beef steak because they are using soy sauce and garlic as their main ingredients. This is the most popular breakfast in the Philippines, I think every restaurant that serves breakfast offer this on their menu even in TURU-TURU(small cafe, cafeteria), Pares and Mami House and many more. It is the best cured meat because we dont use preservative…………..Did you know that beef is a good source of zinc, which is helpful for preventing the damage to blood vessel walls, which can contribute to atherosclerosis and is also needed for the proper functioning of immune system. Beef is also rich in phosphorous and iron. Phosphorous is necessary for strong teeth and bones and Iron helps carry oxygen in the blood, to all cells and muscles and prevents fatigue…………
Ingredients: serves 3-4 persons
TAPA Marinade mix:
- 500 gms beef sirloin or steak cut, blade cut beef
- 1 whole chopped garlic
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce or seasoning soy sauce
- 1 cup soda or sprite
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
You may also need:
- 1/4 cup oil
- some toasted garlic for toppings
- chopped onion leeks for garnishing.
- 4 Eggs – cook your way, either scramble, fried or even poached egg
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a container with cover, just mix all tapa ingredients marinade mix together, rub evenly and mix well. marinate for a minimum of 12 hours allowing the beef to absorb all the flavor.
- In a teflon pan, heat oil and fry tapa on your desired doneness. usually Filipino loves their tapa welldone. remove tapa and set aside. save the remaining tapa drippings or oil for fried rice.
- In the same pan, pour cooked rice and stir well. this will serve as our fried rice.
- In a small pan, heat oil and cook your desired egg – fried or scramble
- Assemble in plate and garnish tapa with onion leeks and toasted garlic.
When we went to the Auckland city, I found a hotdog stand sandwich, but they are not selling it as it is exclusive to the All Blacks Rugby Players organizer, since then I started craving for this sandwich, so when I got home the next day I made it as our lunch box for our swimming trip. I made six, but only packed 5 for our lunch. I ate the american hotdog as my breakfast. It’s crazilicious!!!!!.Hotdogs are a processed meat product made by mixing chopped meat with various curing ingredients, flavorants, and colorants. The meat is then stuffed in casings, cooked, removed from the casing, and put in the final package. But I did not make my own hotdogs here, I just bought it in a supermarket……………Did you know that when hot dogs are made using pork meat, they are good source of thiamin. Since they are a pre-cooked food, they are less prone to spoilage than other types of meat products. This makes them one of the safest meat products available…….
Ingredients: makes 6 american hotdogs
- 6 pcs large frank furter or any hotdogs
- 6 hotdog buns
- ketsup or tomato relish
- grated cheese
- Just using your imagination, assemble american hotdogs and toast in oven.
Have you tried Exotic “internal” ingredients on your meal?….This dish is made from pork hearts, kidney, lungs and liver. Dare to try it? Originally, the recipe also comes with pork blood, but since I could not find any pork blood here in NZ, I just leave the blood. Batchoy is a noodle soup made with pork organs and some vegetables. Originated in Philippines specifically in southern island………….Did you know that those internal organs I mentioned such as pork liver are good source of vitamin A. The vitamin A found in liver is beneficial to you in a number of ways. It contributes to healthy fertility and proper embryo development. It also helps children to avoid developing asthma, prevents kidney stones, regulates blood sugar and fats. Additionally, the vitamin A found in liver can protect you from some environmental toxins and helps to promote proper development during puberty. The vitamin A and arachidonic acid in liver can improve the health and appearance of your hair and skin. ……
Ingredients: serves 10-12 persons
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large chopped onions
- 2 thumb size ginger thinly sliced
- 100 gms pork liver
- 100 gms pork lungs
- 100 grams pork hearts
- 100 grams pork kidney
- 200 grams misua (chinese vermicelli noodles)
- 2 litres water and 1 litre water for boiling
- 1 bunch of spinach (sliced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- In a medium pan, place 1 litre water and boil pork hearts, liver and lungs for 10 minutes. drain and cut into small dice. set aside
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion, ginger and drained pork hearts, liver and lungs. Saute until golden brown then seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add in 2 litres of water and boil for 5 minutes. Add in spinach and vermicelli noodles then adjust your taste by adding fish sauce.
- Serve hot!!
I entered this recipe in the January Blog Hop Giveaway at Fave Diets, if you like it please vote for it in http://www.favedietsblog.com/january-blog-hop-and-giveaway-favorite-winter-soup-recipes/
Wedges…A popular european appetizer, snack or even breakfast..It’s great with a bottle of beer in a pub & cafe and elsewhere…I remember when we go out with friends during late night, the only choices we had for appetizer would be french fries, wedges or chicken wings.(because the Chef already go home)..so we go for wedges, I think everybody can make it……..Did you know that baked potatoes are considered a good carbohydrates that is high in dietary fiber if eaten skin and all. Potatoes are also rich in Vitamin-C, B-complex and minerals like potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc are good source for our skin care.
Warning: Have this meal occasionally, because many people eat potatoes in the form of oily french fries or potato chips and “this bakedwedges” that make potatoes a potential contributor to heart diseases….
Ingredients: (good for sharing)
- 150 grams potato wedges (skin on)
- 50 grams grated cheese
- 50 grams mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Pre-heat oven at 170 degrees celsius for 5 minutes.
- In a baking pan…Pour in wedges and cheese, salt & pepper then bake it for 15 minutes
- Transfer in a serving plate, pour gently your tomato sauce & mayonnaise, serve with a dip (sour cream or any cheese dip)
- Have a bottle of beer & enjoy!!!!!!
My favorite breakfast…….It’s my alternative breakfast in the absence of filipino’s “SILOG’s”…But, since I am a filipino, nothing beats our common almusal(breakfast) like chicksilog and “tocilog” which I already posted. Hmmmm..watch out for more “SILOG” dishes!…… back to the muffin, Since I invented the apricot muffin in our cafe, I am so happy to share you the secret recipe(Sorry boss for revealing the recipe)…..Did you know that apricots has high mineral content, that makes it beneficial in prevention some cases of anemia, tuberculosis, asthma, bronchitis, and toxemia. Apricots are also is high in vitamin A, that is why it is very helpful in the removal of skin pimples and other skin disorder…..
Ingredients: makes 12-15 muffins
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup fresh apricots and 15 pcs apricot halves(for topping)
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup yougart
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 3 pc or 3 cups grated apples
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- icing sugar for garnishing
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together except apricots, cream cheese and flour. mix well. then fold in flour and apricots. (leave the halves for toppings)
- Spray muffin tins/trays and pour in mixture halfway, add in cream cheese and cover with mixtures then top with apricot halves. repeat procedures for 12-15 muffins.
- pre heat oven at 170 degrees celsius and baked for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee -flat white, latte and cappuccino or hot tea.
This is our favorite dish at hongkong chinese restaurant, We never missed this noodle soup every time we go there, my family loves it. Its our way of starting our meal, we usually have this our dinner accompanied by Stir-fry Beef with fresh vegetables and steamed white chicken….Did you know that egg noodles is a great substitute for rice, It is high in carbohydrates, which provide energy for the brain and body’s cells and enough to sustain all the energy you need for the day. It is also rich in protein and fat, or those that yield energy in the form of calories.
Ingredients: Good for 3-4 persons
- 200 gms egg noodles soup
- 1 litre pork broth
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 4 pcs pork chop
Pork broth ingredients:
- 500 gms pork bones (to get a smokey flavor – seared pork bones in a pan of hot cooking oil)
- 1 medium onions
- 1 cup onion leeks
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 pcs star anise
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
Roast Pork ingredients:
- 500 gms pork chops / belly
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a container, mix all ingredients except the pork, mix well.
- Add in pork and rub evenly. cover container and marinade for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- roast pork at 180 degree celsius for 30 minutes
- serve hot with egg noodle soup
My wife cooked this dish. . It’s from her grand mother original recipe and cooking method..It is so creamy & yummy that we made it twice in 2 weeks time..(usually we don’t cook twice as we share recipe on this food blog)…It is best when you have a cup of coffee or tea in the morning or in your snack time….Did you know that glutinous rice ia a good source of carbohydrates and some protein. Carbohydrates – helps give you the energy you need to start and end your day in work or school. Protein is an essential nutrient because it is involved in the structure of your skin, muscles and other bodily tissues
Ingredients: (good for 6-8 persons)
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar- brown
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar – brown
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- In a pan, boil coconut milk. Add glutinous rice and salt. For 15-20 minutes, cook and stir the rice until it is tender and almost dry. Add in brown sugar and cook for 5 minutes.
- On a pan with lined greased foil, spread the cooked rice.
- Pre-heat oven 180 degrees.
- For the topping, mix together the coconut cream and the sugar.
- Pour evenly the mixture on top of the cooked rice.
- Bake the rice for 10-15 minutes or when the top turns brown.
- Serves 6-8 persons. Enjoy….
Cooking is creativity…..I made this dish out of our leftover food. The meat I used was the ingredients when we made an empanada. Usually when we have unfinished food from last night, instead of wasting or reheating it, I create and recycle them into a new dish..You can mix it with fried rice, omelette or even make a quiche….Did you know that eggs are great for the eyes. An egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. People who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of carotenoid contents…
Ingredients: Good for sharing
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 pcs of eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup cheese
- (your left over food) my one is meat from empanada* see recipe from my blog: type “empanada”
- in a mixing bowl, beat egg & cream & pinch of salt. beat well.
- In a teflon pan. add a little oil the pour over beated egg mixtures. form a pancake look a like. dont over cook the egg.
- add in your leftover food and pour over cheese then bake it to 180 degrees for just a minute or less. when your omelet is fluffy but still juicy, remove from oven. and serve hot!!
- Enjoy!! best paired with a garlic bread.
Arrozcaldo…its a type of congee, it can be eaten alone or you can add variety of meats like chicken, tripe or even fish. It is also best with a fried tofu & pork on the side..wheew!!! It is often considered particularly suitable for the sick as a mild, easily digestible food(When we are sick, we usually have this meal))…Did you know that Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates which give us the energy we need. It provides 20 percent of the world’s dietary energy supply. ..
ingredients (serves 4-6 persons)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 50 gms ginger sliced
- 6 pcs chicken wings
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 /2 cup glutenous rice
- 1 liter of water
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp kasugba
- slices of onion leeks (for toppings)
- 6 cloves crushed toasted garlic
- In a large sauce pan, boil white & glutenous rice in one liter of water until cooked. approx 30 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic, ginger & onion.
- Add in chicken and saute for about 3-5 minutes then seasoned salt & pepper.
- Pour saute chicken into the sauce pan of boiling rice. add in kasugba, and seasoned with fish sauce.
- Adjust your desired thickness by adding water.
- Serve hot in a bowl and garnish with toasted garlic & onion leeks