Ube cake or purple yam cake……….For those who just tuned in, this is dessert we had on our 7 course meal. This was baked by my wife from the scratch to finish. It is a cake made with ‘sweet purple potato” in a soft spongee cake filled with macapuno and dressed with cream cheese and sugar frosting. This is the first time my wife made this. The chiffon cake is very traditional, the filling and frosting came from her creative imagination. I would say that after she made this, now I have a patisserie chef…………………….Did you know that purple yam or sweet purple potato specially with a thicker purple skin has a cancer-fighting properties. the anthocyanin which is present in sweet potato can prevent, treat or slow down the growth of cancerous cells…………
Ingredients: serves 1 8×8 square pan (double layer cake)
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cooked purple yam or sweet potato (grated after cooking)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ts[ vanilla extract
- 1/2 glutinous cup corn syrup
- 8 egg whites
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 drops red food color
- 6 drops blue food color
- 12 ounces macapuno (coconut preserve)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 3 drops blue food coloring
- In an electric mixer with bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt, place grated ube, milk, egg yolks, syrup, oil and vanilla extract. mix well. set aside. (we will call this mixture A)
- In an electric mixer with bowl, mix egg whites and cream of tartar until smooth and foamy. add white sugar gradually then add in food coloring. set aside (we will call this mixture B)
- Then combine and fold mixture A and B.
- divide and pour mixtures in two sets of 8×8 pan (place baking paper on tin)
- pre-heat oven 165 degrees and bake for 30 minutes
- To check if the cake is ready, when your finger bounces back it means it is ready
- Let it cool for 1 hour. remove from tin and assemble cake into a serving cake tray. (you can trim in some as your desired cake shape)
- Place one layer of chiffon cake first then fill with a jar of macapuno then top the other chiffon cake.
- Mean time, Place all ingredients of the frosting into a mixing bowl. mix well until smooth and creamy. divide the mixture into two parts. place food coloring on the other part.
- Using your imagination, decorate the cake as you want.
Carrot Cake………One of the best selling healthy cake. My shift will not end if I did not make a carrot cake everyday. Yes, I am making this everyday!!! Its part of my routine work! I remember the first time I made this, It went all the way to the rubbish bin. Yes, Chef make mistakes. I did mistake of not following its standard procedures. Sometimes I do short cuts, but now I learn my mistake not to do short cuts when it comes to baking. Do you want to know what I did? I did not sift all the dry ingredients like the salt,, baking soda and flour. The result is a very hard and salty carrot cake. So from then on, I learn that baking means patience……………….Did you know that carrot is a good source of beta carotene? And Carrot has an outstanding role in anti-cancer effect. Some study shows that people with lack of beta-carotene were more likely to have 2 times higher risk of cancer than normal people. It is wiser to eat an appropriate amount of carrot per day to prevent cancer. This is because beta-carotene in the carrot can be easily changed by our body into vitamin A, which is essential for healthy cell growth, strong immune system and protection against mascular degeneration……
Ingredients: makes 2 sets of 5″ inch diameter cake or one set of 9″ diameter
- 4 cups grated carrot
- 3 cups grated apples
- 5 pcs fresh eggs
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups wholemeal four
- 2 tsp baking sida
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 gms butter
- 200 gms icing sugar
- 300 gms cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon grind(peel)
- pumpkin seeds
- dried apricots
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the wet ingredients, mix well.
- Then one at a time, sift in flour, salt, baking soda and wholemeal flour. mix well
- Transfer mixture to a non-stick cake tin of 2 sets 5 inch diameter or on a 9 inch diameter cake tin.
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees and bake for 1 hour then turn to 45 mins and bake at 150 degrees celsius.
- When the cake is cooked, transfer into a serving platter and rest for an hour. Then start preparing the toppings.
- Using your creative imagination ,top the carrot cake with its icing and pumpkin seeds and dried apricots.
Custard Cake………..One of my favourite cake because it is half made with leche flan and the other half is made with a chiffon cake. It a sweet dessert with a caramel perfectly melts in your mouth with the leche flan toppings. Best paired if you will have a cup of long black, cafe americano and espresso or even just a cup of tea. I almost eat half tray of the custard cake, I love it!!!!. And best of all, my wife made this one. she made it with lots of love and patience…………..Did you know that the main ingredients of this cake is eggs. And egg are a great source of protein. Numerous vitamins, including vitamin A, potassium and many B vitamins like folic acid, choline and biotin, are also packed into this oval-shaped staple. In fact, very few foods share the same diverse nutrient makeup available in a single egg. Many of these are specifically needed for the health of the nerves and the brain. And on top of it, It’s a cheap way to get protein sources. Eggs is cheap here in NZ, How about in your country?
Ingredients: serves two baking tray of 8 x 8
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
For Custard mixtures:
- 7 egg yolk
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For Cake Mixture:
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cold water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups bakers flour sifted
* in a large bowl, stir egg well then combine all ingredients together, mix well. set aside.
- 14 egg whites (from the above egg yolks)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* using an electric mixer, place egg white and mix until fluffy then add cream of tartar and sugar. mix well. set aside
- Pour in custard mix on the pan with caramelized sugar..
- Combine meringue and cake mixture by folding. then pour on pan with custard and caramelized sugar.
- In a roasting pan, pour water and place 2 pan of custard cake and bake for about 30 minutes at 160 degrees celsius.
- To check, place a tooth pick, if the cake is dry then it is ready. set for 2 hours allowing to cool then place in fridge for about 2 hours before serving.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea…..
To be honest, this recipe is like bread with a chocolate spread but using white and dark chocolate that makes it a little bit exciting to eat. Best paired with a cup of coffee or tea during breakfast or simply have it as a dessert after meal or best lunch box to school or to your office. You can chilled it in fridge and get a slice and warm in a microwave for 30 seconds. It’s an instant snack as well………….Did you know that dark chocolates is an anti-oxidant powerhouse. Dark chocolate and cocoa are rich in cell-protecting antioxidants — natural compounds found in fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.
Ingredients: serves on 2 cake loaf tin
- 2 cups bakers raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate bits
- 1/2 cup white chocolate mini chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 pcs fresh eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar and butter well for about 5 minutes then add egg one at a time.
- Add in all ingredients except dark and white chocolate. mix well.
- then fold in dark and white chocolate.
- pre-heat oven at 160 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
- cool down for an hour before serving.
- Serve with coffee or tea.
Do you like cheesecake? and a chocolate cake as well?, ..Definitely, you will need to try this, It’s a creamy blend of chocolate and cream cheese…I am really having a hard time taking good photos when it comes to cakes and dessert, When I took photos for my double chocolate cake, It took me 50 shots, this cheesecake took me less, maybe about 30 shots……..Did you know that cream cheese is made using milk products, it provides some percentage of your recommended calcium intake. It is important to find other ways to incorporate calcium in your diet to maintain strong bones. Cream cheese also contains a wide variety of nutrients including carbohydrates, fats and proteins and, when used in moderation, can be included daily as part of a healthy diet……
Ingredients: makes one 6″ or 8″ inch round tin
- 1 1/2 heavy cream
- 2 cups cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp gelatin powder dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate bits
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip the cream until fluffy, set aside. divide the cream into half portions.
- In another mixing bowl, whip sugar and cream cheese then add lemon juice and gelatin mixtures, divide the mixture in half, whip the other half with cocoa powder then add fold in “other half whipped cream”
- fold the other half of cream cheese mixture into the remaining whipped cream mixtures.
- Spray tin with oil and place baking paper. Assemble the mixtures by placing the whipped cream & cream cheese mixtures then the other chocolate and ccream cheese mixtures.
- Topped with chocolate bits and place inside freezer for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
To be honest, It took me 50 shots to take this photo..sorry I am not really a good photographer. I wish I could be someday…While taking photos, we start eating the cake then I realized I havent take a full photo shot of the cake…huhuhuhu!!!..A very sinful chocolate cake!!!….Did you know that chocolates are high in potassium and magnesium, chocolate also provides us with several vitamins – including B1, B2, D, and E. As for calories, no one is going to claim chocolate is the quintessential diet food. But still, it is low enough for a dieter to enjoy one as an occasional treat. Besides, indulging your chocolate craving from time to time can help prevent the bingeing that is a dieter’s worst enemy….
Ingredients: Makes one round sinfully delicious chocolate cake
- 150 gma butter
- 1 cup white caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup bakers flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 100 gms 70% dark chocolate melted
- 3/4 cup fresh cream
Topping: Chocolate ganache
- 400 dark chocolate melts
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Rainbow choco sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Grease a deep 20 or 22 cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.This will help create a smooth texture.
- add the following ingredients by sifting flours, bicarbonate of soda, and cocoa, then stir in the melted chocolate and milk
- Spread in cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour or until firm to touch.
- Leave in cake tin for 30 minutes, then turn onto wire rack to cool. cut half way(for chocolate ganache filling inside)
- To make the topping, place chocolate and cream in a container and microwave for 2 minutes, stir over heat until chocolate is melted. Pour over on half of cake , assemble other half and pour the remaining ganache on top of cake.
- Using your imagination, decorate your cake with rainbow sprinkles or some chocolate shavings.
- Best with a cup of coffee or tea.
This was made by my wife..It took her lots of courage to do it. We had fun doing this recipe, . Do you know why? We are trying to translate it in English without seeking to our friend “google”, The choice was….”Top top” or ” sheet over sheet”….hahahaha…Then finally we ask our friend google!!! It’s a sticky rice coconut cake……..Did you know that by eating a bowl of glutinous or sticky rice before bedtime can put insomiacs to sleep…. Scientists have discovered that starchy rice boosts two key sleep chemicals that make you fall into a slumber faster (tryptophan and serotonin, two brain chemicals involved in sleep)
* but adding red meat or other high protein foods to the starchy rice meal could remove the sleep-enhancing benefits.
- 750 grams glutinous rice flour
- 500 grams semi-brown sugar
- 500 ml coconut milk (or more)
- 2-3 tbsp cooked mashed sweet potato (Kumara)
- 2-3 tbsp ube yam
- food coloring – orange & violet
For 1st topping:
- grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
For 2nd topping:
- 1-1/2 cup coconut cream
- Mix glutinous rice flour, sugar and coconut milk in a large bowl.
- Divide the mixture in three parts in 3 separate bowls.
- On the 1st part of the mixture, add the ube yam and put in some drops of the violet coloring, Mix well.
- On the 2nd part, add in the mashed sweet potato and put in some drops of the orange coloring. Mix well.
- On the third part, nothing to be added.
- Boil water to be used for steaming.
- Grease round pan (optional: line the greased pan with banana leaves and grease the leaves)
- Pour the 1st mixture (ube) and spread it evenly. Cover the pan with foil or cloth then steam for 20-30 minutes till firm.
- When cooked, put the 1st part (ube) in a round plate or tray (optional: line the plate with banana leaves)
- On the used pan, pour the 2nd mixture (Sweet potato). Cover it and steam again for 20-30 minutes till firm.
- When cooked, put the 2nd part (sweet potato) on top of the cooked 1st part (ube).
- And for the last part, pour it again in the used pan, cover and steam for 20-30 minutes till firm.
- When cooked put the 3rd part on top of the 2nd part (sweet yam).
- For the 1st topping (budbod), fry grated coconut in a pan ( I used desiccated coconut as a substitute) till brown and add half a tsp sugar.
- For the 2nd topping (latik), on a pan pour 1-1/2 cup coconut cream. Wait till the latik comes out and scrape of the pan to get the latik.
- Put the 2 toppings on top of the sapin-sapin.
- Serves 8-10 persons. Enjoy….