Tapsilog (cured beef)
Tapsilog………….Another member of the “SILOG FAMILY”. For those who doesn’t know yet is – the word “SI” is for fried rice(sinangag) and “LOG” is for egg (Itlog). Then we add the first syllable of the meat name like this “TAP” for tapa (beef) and then the “SILOG” that makes it TAPSILOG. Again, for the recap. I already posted Tocilog, Chicksilog and more of them coming soon. This breakfast dish is best served with achara. It is very similar to Pork steak ala pobre and pork steak tagalog , beef steak because they are using soy sauce and garlic as their main ingredients. This is the most popular breakfast in the Philippines, I think every restaurant that serves breakfast offer this on their menu even in TURU-TURU(small cafe, cafeteria), Pares and Mami House and many more. It is the best cured meat because we dont use preservative…………..Did you know that beef is a good source of zinc, which is helpful for preventing the damage to blood vessel walls, which can contribute to atherosclerosis and is also needed for the proper functioning of immune system. Beef is also rich in phosphorous and iron. Phosphorous is necessary for strong teeth and bones and Iron helps carry oxygen in the blood, to all cells and muscles and prevents fatigue…………
Ingredients: serves 3-4 persons
TAPA Marinade mix:
- 500 gms beef sirloin or steak cut, blade cut beef
- 1 whole chopped garlic
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce or seasoning soy sauce
- 1 cup soda or sprite
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
You may also need:
- 1/4 cup oil
- some toasted garlic for toppings
- chopped onion leeks for garnishing.
- 4 Eggs – cook your way, either scramble, fried or even poached egg
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a container with cover, just mix all tapa ingredients marinade mix together, rub evenly and mix well. marinate for a minimum of 12 hours allowing the beef to absorb all the flavor.
- In a teflon pan, heat oil and fry tapa on your desired doneness. usually Filipino loves their tapa welldone. remove tapa and set aside. save the remaining tapa drippings or oil for fried rice.
- In the same pan, pour cooked rice and stir well. this will serve as our fried rice.
- In a small pan, heat oil and cook your desired egg – fried or scramble
- Assemble in plate and garnish tapa with onion leeks and toasted garlic.
TOSILOG (Cured Pork Meat)
Tosilog…Tocino Sinangag at Itlog…another member of the “SILOG” family. it is a cured meat product which is similar to bacon or ham. . you can also use beef or chicken for this recipe . . Did you know that “Pork” is naturally low in salt and a very good source of protein. Pork meats also have vitamins and minerals that are essential to our health. What pork lacks is the very important fiber. This what makes pork meats not heart friendly. in the philippines we called it “pampabata lalo na yung taba”….It is recommended that you take pork meats moderately.
In the plate:
- 1 cup garlic rice
- 150 gms tocino
- 1 pc fried sunny side egg
- 1 kl pork meat(thinly sliced)
- I cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp ground star anise
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsbsp achuete powder
- 2 tbsp seasalt
- In a container, mix all ingredient except pork meat. mix well…then add pork meat and rubbed evenly. cover container and store at room temperature for atleast 24 hours. … then store in fridge for consumption
- In a pan, heat oil and stir fry approx 150gms of tocino per serving.. serve hot with garlic rice & sunny side egg.