Kare Kare – Pata (Pork in peanut sauce)
Kare kareng baka..This is the favorite dish of my wife’s sister-in-law(kwen) and also my friends (vic & tess)…some prefer using a beef meat, or ox tail and oxtripe. I used pork hocks, because of the “melts in your mouth” pork hocks fat…As they say, if you eat pork fat, its “pampabata(never grow old because you die young!!! hehehe) but to compliment the pork fat, this meal comes with bundles of healthy vegetables.(so eat reasonable amount of pork and enjoy the veggies)……..Did you know that peanuts contains high amount of protein, which makes it a preferred diet of those people engaged in body-building and those people who are weak and underweight… peanuts are also good for your arteries. One quarter cup of peanuts contains as much monounsaturated fat as a tablespoon of olive oil. Monounsaturated fats have been shown to lower blood cholesterol.
Ingredients: good 4-6 persons
- 1 kilo of pork hocks and legs
- 1/2 cup rice flour dissolve in 1 cup water
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1.5 litre of water
- 1 medium onions sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp achuete powder or 2 tbsp achuete oil
- 6-8 pcs string beans cut to 1-1/2″ or 2″ long
- 2 pc medium egg plant cut to 1″ thick
- 1 pc banana heart (blossom) cut to 1″-2″ thick
- 1 bunch bok choy (optional)
For saute shrimp paste(dipping sauce)
- 1 cup shrimp paste
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 small finely chopped onions
- 4 pcs chopped chillies(optional)
*in a small pan, heat oil and saute garlic onion and shrimp paste, add in sugar, water and chillies. simmer for 5 minutes. set aside.
- In a container, rub pork hocks and legs with salt. rub evenly for at least 30 minutes allowing the salt to enter pork meat.
- In a large sauce pan, add in water, onions and pork hocks and legs for 45 minutes or until pork is tender
- add in peanut butter and rice flour. simmer for 2 minutes. add in the rest of the vegetables and boil for 2-3 minutes. don’t over cooked the veggies. serve hot with shrimp paste on the side.