Spam meat loaf….This canned goods probably one of our favourite back home in the Philippines. I am not really convinced if I will be posting this recipe because I just fried this with a scrambled egg. Maybe the reason why I posted this is I want to show you how we cook this meat loaf in our country. I remember we only have the chance to taste this canned goods whenever we had a visitor or relatives that arrived overseas. As because Spam Meat loaf is one of the most expensive canned goods in the Philippines. I remember when I was new here in NZ, when my wife took me to my first grocery shopping in a supermarket. I bought a lot of this canned item as this is really my favourite of them all. For those who does not know the meaning of “spamsilog”, the word “silog” means SI – for sinangag(fried rice) and LOG – for itlog(egg)……………Did you know that this meatloaf is a combination of beef and pork meat and it is very loaded with protein and carbohydrates. Proteins are indispensable for growth and maintenance of every kind of cell in our body. Body development, replenishment of lost blood, healing of wounds and scars, replacement of dead cells, and hair and nail growth need proteins. Proteins in the form of enzymes, hormones and antibodies promote healthy metabolic and physiological processes, and boost our nervous and immunity systems. In situations when fat and carbohydrate food sources are not providing adequate calories, proteins are degraded to generate the calories our body needs.
Ingredients: serves 2-3 persons
- 1 can spam meat loaf sliced into 9-10 pcs
- 2 scrambled egg
- 3 tbsp oil
- In a mixing bowl, scramble the egg and dip spam slices.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and fry spam dipped in egg.
To be honest, this recipe is like bread with a chocolate spread but using white and dark chocolate that makes it a little bit exciting to eat. Best paired with a cup of coffee or tea during breakfast or simply have it as a dessert after meal or best lunch box to school or to your office. You can chilled it in fridge and get a slice and warm in a microwave for 30 seconds. It’s an instant snack as well………….Did you know that dark chocolates is an anti-oxidant powerhouse. Dark chocolate and cocoa are rich in cell-protecting antioxidants — natural compounds found in fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.
Ingredients: serves on 2 cake loaf tin
- 2 cups bakers raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate bits
- 1/2 cup white chocolate mini chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 pcs fresh eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar and butter well for about 5 minutes then add egg one at a time.
- Add in all ingredients except dark and white chocolate. mix well.
- then fold in dark and white chocolate.
- pre-heat oven at 160 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
- cool down for an hour before serving.
- Serve with coffee or tea.