Pinangat sa Sampalok (fish in tamarind fruit)
Posted by noris
Pinangat(sour dish)…..Using tamarind fruit as the main ingredients in your sour dish would add excellent flavor especially in fish recipes. They said this dish can last upto a week without placing it inside your fridge. That’s why there is a joke for the word”pinangat” which originated from the word “pangat” when you add to another word it will have a different meaning as “pangatlong araw na ulam” meaning everyday food, re-heated and heated until you finish. You probably didn’t get it. As it is very hard to explain in english..hahahaha, back to the recipe. Yes, it can last upto a week because it is mainly compose of sour ingredients such as vinegar and tamarind fruit. A great lunch box idea for picnic for most filipinos. Try it!
Ingredients: serves 2-3 persons
- 1/2 kg of baby jack mackarel cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 1 thumb size ginger sliced
- 1 medium size onions sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 4 pcs tamarind fruit
- 2 pcs long green chillies
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup vinegar.
- In a medium wide saucepan, place and arrange everything and bring to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and prepare a dipping sauce made of fish sauce and chillies