Don Buri – Gyudon (beef)
Gyudon…its a beef in sweet soy sauce serve in a bowl of rice. I remember this was the favorite of my previous boss. We had several revisions before we introduce this product to our customers. We cooked this with lots of onions & leeks…and the outcome is…blockbuster!!! A favorite japanese dish during our time. So I am happy to share you this recipe…Did you know that onions is a powerful anti-septic that is very rich in vitamin A, B & C. It also contains iron & calcium. The high contain of iron in onions makes it beneficial for the treatment of anemia…Onions also called as the “king of vegetables”…
Ingredients: Serves 4-6 bowls
- 100 gms butter
- 2 big onions (sliced)
- 1 stalk of leeks (sliced) – save some for garnishing
- 500 gms thinly sliced beef
- 1 cup sprite or soda water
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup kikoman soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- pinch of hondashe
- 1 sheet of nori (seaweeds) cut strips
- pinch of sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolve in 1 cup water
- Eggs – optional (to be cooked per bowl)
- Heat butter and saute onions & leeks for 3-5 minutes. Add in beef and stir fry until light brown in color. seasoned with salt & pepper.
- Add in soda water and boil for 30 minutes using low fire. (stir every 5 minutes)
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. To cook egg, in a small pan, pour over a gyudon mix then add egg, cover untl egg is cooked. serve in a bowl then garnish with leeks.
Don Buri – Katsudon(pork)
Katsudon…..its a breaded pork cooked in egg & sweet soy sauce over steamed rice. You can also try this using chicken(torikatsu) or in beef(gyudon). . . Did you know that consumption of Pork in moderate quantities is helpful in gaining energy. It is good for skin, eyes, nervous system, bones and mental performance. Intake of Pork also ensures better immunity to body due to presence of essential antioxidants. But excessive eating of pork especially its fat may cause heart disease and may rise to hi-blood pressure….I recommend to eat less pork meat on your daily diet.
Ingredients: Good for one bowl
Pork bread mix
- 100 gms pork meat
- flour for breading
- bread crunbs
- 1 pc egg
- salt & pepper
* coat pork meat with flour then dip to egg then dip to bread crunbs, fry until golden brown.
Sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce(kikoman)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger
*in a sauce pan, combine all ingredients and bring to boil, set aside(makes 4-6 servings)
You will also need onion rings & onion leeks and dried strips of “nori”(seaweeds) as optional.
- in a little pan, pour in 1/2 cup of sweet soy sauce, bring to boil then add breaded pork meat, pour in remaining egg, onion rings & leeks. cover until egg is cooked. serve in a bowl of steamed rice.