I love this soup…especially when you have a hangover, feeling bad, headache or lack of sleep…This meal can make you alive and kicking again…It is a sour soup made with tamarind leaves and ginger. As we know ginger and tamarind have lots of healing properties. I remember sometimes we cooked a rooster(our opponents’ fighting cock) that was lost on a cockfight because it can cover the “medicine” taste like of it’s chicken meat. Well, we serve this as an appetizer to celebrate our “winning moments”.(pagkain ng sabungero)…….Did you know that tamarind lowers cholesterol & promotes a healthy heart. The pulp, leaves and flowers, in various combinations, are applied on painful and swollen joints. Tamarind is also used as a gargle for sore throats, and as a drink to bring relief from sunstroke.
Ingredients: good for 4-6 persons
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 medium onions
- 3 tbsp of sliced ginger
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 kl of whole chicken sliced in serving portions
- 1 tsp of salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 liter of water
- 1/4 can of tamarind leave or fresh leaves
- 1 sachet of tamarind mix or equivalent to 6-8 pcs of crushed tamarind
- 1 pc large taro cut in serving portion
- optional ingredients will be string beans, egg-plant, radish
- in a mixing bowl, seasoned chicken meat with salt & pepper. set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes allowing the flavor to enter in chicken meat
- in a large saucepan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger. saute well, add in chicken and simmer until lightly golden brown.
- add in water and the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- adjust your taste by adding extra fish sauce if you prefer.