…………..Just introducing one of the favourite dish back home in the Philippines. Inspired by my first proper restaurant work place, I would like to share this plate made of rump steak and alternate seasonal veggies served in a bed of rice pilaf……………..Watch out for more ala carte dishes!!!!
Ingredients and preparation:
alternate dice cuts of rump steak and courgettes and onions grilled your way! seasoned with lea perins and salt and pepper
served in rice pilaf
Finally, where in the main course. For recap for those who just tuned in, This is the main dish of our 7 course meal. And this entree’s will be our 5th meal of the night. Starting from canape, appetizer, soup and salad. We still ave that big appetite. Yes, We are very big now! (LOL). I choose a steak to accompany my pesto al dente pasta. And my steak is just flat in taste, I just seasoned it with salt and pepper. I love my steak to be like this way. I also like my steak cooked in medium done To complement the steak I paired it with a plain spaghetti al dente with pesto sauce. So, you can just imagine the flavour of herbs and the steak exploding on your mouth every single bite.. how about you? what do you want to pair with your steak?. Please stay with next week as we will continue with the dessert………………Did you know that pesto I used here is made with basil leaves and olive oil. I already featured the basil leaves, so we will go on with the olive oil. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants, especially vitamin E, long thought to minimize cancer risk. Among plant oils, olive oil is the highest in monounsaturated fat, which doesn’t oxidize in the body, and it’s low in polyunsaturated fat, the kind that does oxidized. Some recent studies also indicate that regular consumption of olive oil can help decrease both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. It has also been demonstrated that a diet that is rich in olive oil, low in saturated fats, moderately rich in carbohydrates and soluble fiber from fruit, vegetables, pulses and grains is the most effective approach for diabetics. It helps lower “bad” low-density lipoproteins while improving blood sugar control and enhances insulin sensitivity. Lastly, although olive oil is high in calories, olive oil has shown to help reduce levels of obesity.
Ingredients: good for 7 persons
- 7 pcs of T-bone steak seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled your way
- 500 gms of cooked pasta
- pesto sauce
- parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick pan, tossed cooked pasta with 1/2 cup of pesto sauce.
- 1 bunch of basil leaves (approx 200 grams)
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 pcs chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- In a food processor, blend all ingredients together and transfer in a clean container preferably a bottler or a ketsup dispenser. Use for pasta or for garnishing.
Buffalo Restaurant…………Everytime we had a special occasion and we are craving for steak or grilled dishes, we go here at Buffalo Restaurant. The price is very reasonable and the serving portion is huge enough to satisfy an empty stomach of a man. probably good for sharing for woman. (but not my wife-because she eat a lots-LOL)…The picture above is their 400-500g ramp steak valued at 23.00 dollar. but since we had a buy one get one voucher on which you can find at the back of supermarket receipt. I get two ramp steak for the price of one. You can also find the voucher in leading newspapers and magazines. The menu is priced from 15-25 dollar. and best of all their kid’s meal is only 12 dollar complete with a drink and a dessert. ………..
They are located at:
Buffalo Bar & Grill,
3 Northcroft St, Takapuna, North Shore. Auckland, New Zealand Phone 09-4898615
Bistek Tagalog………..If the Americans love their fillet mignon with gravy, tenderloin steak with mushroom sauce, We filipinos have love our own steak. Yes, Bistek is a steak – the Philippines way. It’s a tasty and simple recipe to cook your beef. It is a dish made with common ingredients such as soy sauce, calamansi and onions which is always present inside our cup board. As I always mention to my blog – good food doesn’t have to be complicated. For your reference, I already posted the pork version of this recipe – Pork Steak Tagalag…………..Did you know that onions is the richest dietary source of quercitin, a potent antioxidant which is specifically linked to inhibiting human stomach cancer. Onions also have historically been used to treat asthma, too. Its action in asthma is due to its ability to inhibit the production of compounds that cause the bronchial muscle to spasm and to relax bronchial muscle.
Ingredients: serves 3-4 persons
- 500 gms beef sirloin- blade cut / thinly sliced
- 1 large white onions cut in rings
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp baking soda (to keep the steak more tender)
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 5 pcs calamansi or 1 whole lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp oil
- In a container with cover, combine all ingredients together except onions and oil. marinade for a minimum of 2 hours
- In a wide teflon pan, heat oil and caramelize onion for 5 minutes. remove and drain onions. set aside.
- On the same pan with the same oil, seared steak on both side. Seared on your desired doneness. Do not over cook.
- The pour over remaining marinade mix. cook for about 2 minutes then topped with caramelized onions
- Transfer in a serving plate. Serve hot with rice.
Steak ala pobre…….One of the most popular entree back in my previous work place. It is under the Menu which have a caption of “CHEF’s RECOMMENDATION”…. It is a huge piece of steak serve with lots of garlic cooked your way. I remember this meal is accompanied by the usual side dish of coleslaw and buttered veggies and your choice of rice or mashed potato. Gosh, After almost 15 years ago, I still can remember every single word we used to create that menu. ……………..Did you know that garlic can improve a person’s immune system. It has anti-cancer components that can prevent colon cancer and stomach cancer. People with more garlic in their food intake or diet have less risk of colorectal cancer or pancreatic cancer. Garlic supplementation can also reduce the development of cancer cells among people with family history of breast, prostate and throat cancers. Also, it is found that aged garlic lowers heart and intestinal damage common to chemotherapy patients……….
Ingredients: Serves 2 persons
- 400 grams tenderloin steak (200 gms per serving)
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp seasoning soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- toasted garlic for garnishing on top
- In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients and rub steak evenly.
- In a charcoal grill – grill steak according to your desired doneness.
- Serve with coleslaw salad and your choice of rice or mashed potato
- Enjoy with a glass of wine.
This is one of my favorite dish especially when I go to a “TURO-TURO” or canteen(small cafeteria) in the philippines…It’s a marinated fried pork with canalized onions and served with its remaining marinade mix. A simple dish that you can definitely eat a bunch of rice on it….whew!!!…..Did you know that onions contain a number of sulfides similar to those found in garlic which may lower blood lipids and blood pressure. In some places, communities that never consumed onions had blood cholesterol levels substantially higher, and blood clotting times shorter, than the communities that ate liberal amounts of garlic and onions….
Ingredients: good for 3-4 persons
- oil for frying
- 6-8 pcs of pork chops or 1/2 a kilo
- 2 big white onions
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon or calamansi
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp sugar
- in a container, mix soy sauce, salt & pepper, 1 tsp sugar(save 1 tsp for onions) and lemon, mix well then add pork. marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- in a frying pan, fry pork until medium well. set aside and remove oil from the pan.
- from the same frying pan, add a little oil and saute onions for 3-4 minutes or until caramelize. add 1 tsp sugar.
- add in fried pork and its remaining marinade mix. add in water and bring to a boil.
- serve hot & enjoy!!!