Steamed Bok Choi and chilli sauce
Steamed bok choi……………..I am not sure if I will be posting this, maybe I just want to give you an idea on how to enjoy simple green leafy steamed vegetables. Consuming alone might not be a good idea but since we are having a yam cha lunch here at home, I decided to add this steamed bok choy with my chilli chicken feet and pork siomai. Well, As I said to my wife, I will be posting every little recipe we will make in our kitchen………………..Did you know that bok choy contains glucosinolates which may be important for your immune system and to help prevent cancer. Chopping bok choy or eating it raw may be best. Enzymes in bok choy that produce the cancer-fighting compounds inside your body are preserved when bok choy is left uncooked. On the other hand, cooking bok choy can improve the absorption of another class of health-promoting compounds. The carotenoids found in bok choy may be better absorbed if you gently cook bok choy first and then serve with a meal that contains some fat. To get all the health benefits of bok choy, eat it raw in salads on some days and on other days, do a quick steam or saute with other vegetables and enjoy……….
- Bunch of bok choy
- Boiling water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup dried chillies
- 1/2 cup fresh chillies
- 3 pcs star anise
– in a small sauce pan, heat oil and fry chillies and star anise in low heat setting. set aside and place into a small bottle with cover.
- In a sauce pan, boil water and blanch bok choy, set aside
- Serve hot with chilli sauce
Baby Bok Choy with Chilli Dressing
Bok choy or Chinese white cabbage. A simple and very healthy dish. This leaf vegetable is a member of the cabbage family and very popular in Asian cuisine. Did you know that Bok Choy is a good source of vitamins and minerals specifically rich in indoles. Preliminary studies suggest that these photochemicals may help prevent breast cancer…So ladies,,,lets cook and eat bok choy.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 1-2 minutes. serves for 2-3 person
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 finely sliced diagonally red chillies
- 2 finely chopped cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp japanese rice wine (mirin)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 500 g. or 1 bunch baby bok choy
- For the dressing, combine ginger, chilli, garlic, sesame oil, japanese rice wine (mirin), soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan, blanch the whole baby bok choy in boiling water for 1 minute, then place in a serving plate. Drizzle with the dressing.
Best with fried dishes such as Deep fried Fish, Porkchops and even on steam fish….