Posted by noris
Tahong(mussels)……..Just lately, I was really craving for mussels that I almost have this for our dinner every other day. so meaning 4 times a week. We had, mussels stew, stir-fry, grilled mussels and steamed mussels. Yes, that’s a lot of mussels. Well New Zealand mussels is quite famous all over the world. I think this will be the second time I will be posting this recipe.hYUMM!!!!!! Another 5 dollar meal challenge recipe. Quite cheap!…………………………….. Did you know that mussels are high in protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, selenium and iodine. They are relatively low in calories and fat and have exceptional nutritional value. Omega-3 are the ‘good oils’ that are beneficial for the heart by helping lower cholesterol. Omega-3 also has anti-inflammatory properties. Selenium is an anti-oxidant compound that fights free radicals in the blood stream. Iodine is essential for natural production of thyroid hormones that contribute to basic metabolism as well as helping your body to efficiently burn calories……
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red onions
- 1 thumb size ginger crushed and sliced
- 2 pc tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup water
- 1 kg mussels(cleaned & rubbed)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 green chillies
- some greens such as kangkong or chillies leaves
- heat sauce pan with olive oil, saute garlic, onion, ginger & tomatoes for 2-3 mins.
- Add mussels and cover with a lid and simmer for 3-5 mins or until they are opened.
- add water, seasoned with salt & pepper, chillies and some greens.
- Serve hot!!!