Salmon Head………As part of our 5 dollar challenge meal in our house, one of the list is this recipe. It is a fish recipe where in you just place all ingredients and boil it. Yes, it is very easy to cook. Well, you can not be wrong with salmon. Even it is the head part, it is very tasty and full of flavour.”pinangat” means a dish cooked with sour ingredients like vinegar, lemons, calamansi or tamarind. There are wide variety to cooked this dish depending on your taste. Must try!……………………Did you know that salmon is the healthiest food in the planet? Aside from its high content of omega-3 fatty acids, it is also a good source of Vitamin D as well. Vitamin D has been shown to play a crucial role in lowering the risk of several types of cancer, including breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer. Salmon contains particularly high levels of vitamin D and selenium, which is also associated with prevention of certain types of cancer, including colorectal cancer.
Ingredients: serves 2-3 persons
- 2 heads of salmon cut into half
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium size tomatoes quartered
- 1 medium size onions sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 2 pcs dried chillies optional
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup vinegar.
- In a medium wide saucepan, place and arrange everything except bok choy and bring to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add in bok choy and boil for a minute.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and a dipping sauce made of fish sauce and chillies
Eggplant…………This is one of the common salad especially in the rural areas or provinces in my country. A simple salad made of grilled or boiled eggplant with chopped tomatoes, onions and steamed kangkong (river spinach) served with a shrimp paste(alamang guisado). It is best paired with fried pork or fish. This is one of the favorite side salad of my wife………..Did you know that eggplant is an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can help protect against colon cancer and keeps the digestive system regular. The vitamins in eggplant consist primarily of vitamin A, B vitamins, folate and vitamin C. Eggplant is also rich in minerals, boasting a large quantity of potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous. With no fat, eggplant makes an excellent addition to any diet..
Ingredients: serves 2-3 persons
- 2 pcs eggplant (boiled or grilled) sliced
- 2 whole tomatoes (big diced)
- 1 large white onins (big diced)
- 2 tbsp shrimp paste (alamang guisado)
- 1 bunch steamed kangkong or bok choy
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients together. best tossed with the shrimp paste
- Transfer into a serving bowl
- Best paired for fried dishes.
Omelette…An all day breakfast dish that is so popular in our cafe…specially this ham, cheese and Onions. Its a simple dish that everyone can cook and enjoy…best serve with salad greens or just a toast of bread….Did you know that eggs are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system….Eggs may prevent breast cancer. In one study, women who consumed at least 6 eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44%…
Ingredients (good for sharing)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onions
- 3 pcs of eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup cheese
- 2 pcs of ham
- salt & pepper
- chopped parsley
- In a small pan, heat oil and saute onions. let it caramelize for 2-3 minutes in low heat settings. then add in sugar for quick caramelization… add in ham, salt & pepper & parsley. set aside.
- in a mixing bowl, beat egg & cream & pinch of salt. beat well.
- In a teflon pan. add a little oil the pour over beated egg mixtures. form a pancake look a like. dont over cook the egg.
- add in your ham & onions mixtures on top, pour over cheese then bake it to 180 degrees for just a minute or less. when your omelet is fluffy but still juicy, remove from oven. and serve hot!!
- Enjoy!! best paired with salad greens or a garlic bread.