White Chicken Casserole
White Chicken Casserole………….One of the simplest way to have when you have a big party or gathering is to cooked your chicken in this simple casserole style. It is a one dish meal that includes meat and healthy vegetables in a creamy base recipe. We served this food mostly in banquet or buffet back in the Philippines. Wondering why? As I mentioned before in my previous blog, chicken are all pre-cooked in our banquet kitchen, so we can play with the vegetables. You can also cook this different style by changing the cream into tomato sauce or soya sauce base…..Must try!!!
Ingredients: good for 4-6 persons
- 1 whole chicken (cut in portion size)
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 small white onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 pcs potato diced
- 1 pc medium carrot diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 stalk onion leeks
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 pc red and green capsicum
- In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger. saute well then add in chicken and let it brown(saute approx 5-8 minutes). then seasoned with salt and pepper
- Add in potatoes and carrots and simmer for another 5 minutes. then add in capsicum. simmer for another 2 minutes. adjust taste by adding salt & pepper
- Add in onion leeks and cream then remove from heat. don’t boil cream.
- Serve hot!!!
Steamed White Chicken
A favorite appetizer(pulutan) of my father-in-law (rene), We usually have this starter when we are drinking hard beverages such as whisky, brandy or cognacs. It is a slow cooked chicken with some spices. It’s really best to dip it into a kikoman soysauce with chillies after a shot of a brandy(wheew!!….please drink moderately!)….Did you know that in steam cooking or steaming, the boiling water never comes in contact with the food. Heat from the steam is gentle and uniform. It slowly diffuses through the food and let the food cook in its own juice thus minimizing loss of nutrients and retaining its texture and flavor and all the vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients: (good for 3-4 persons)
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium onions chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup slices of leeks
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups of water
- In a large sauce pan with steamer. mix all ingredients together except chicken and water. mix well. add chicken and rub evenly.
- add water to the sauce pan with all the remaining “rubbed mixtures”and place the chicken on its steamer. slow cook for 45 mins or until cooked.
- if you don’t have a steamer pot., you can wrap the chicken to a cling wrap(make atleast 4-5 small holes to prevent from ballooning). then place to a large saucepan of boiling water and its mixtures. serve hot with its remaining reduced stocks.
- Best dipping sauce is a kikoman with lots of chillies and a twist of lemon juice.